I wrote this guide to help people understand how to check the MD5 hash of a downloaded file. This is applicable to the ROMS or pretty much any file that has an MD5 posting. For this guide we will be using CleanROM as an example.
- Windows Based PC
- MD5 checksum verification tool. For this guide we will be using "Chaos MD5" found HERE. There are also ones in the Android Market for the Phone as well.
- A file to check with a known MD5 checksum.
The MD5 checksum is like a fingerprint of a file. It ensures a couple things...
- The file did not get corrupted when it was downloaded
- The file is authentic and untouched as the author intended.
- For the most part, your not going to fake an MD5 hash but I guess it could be done. For more backgound info on MD5 look HERE
Section 1 - Lets do it!
- Download Chaos MD5 Tool and extract to desktop.
- Download CleanROM but do not extract it.
- Run MD5 Tool and select the CleanROM file by clicking on the "Open Folder" icon in the MD5 App.
- Click Generate MD5 and compare it with posted MD5. If it matches you are golden. If not, you either have a corrupted download or a bootleg file.
Hope this helps!
If you want more guides and tutorials please let me know!